19 September 2013

[Olivia Wyatt]:  “I have found that within tribal communities there is extensive knowledge of and a symbiotic relationship between the people and their surroundings. Whether it be with plants, animals, or the sea, there’s knowledge so vast and so rich, yet something that I personally am so disconnected from. Most people I know (including myself) would have to go to school for years–maybe even a lifetime–to learn the information indigenous peoples know almost innately. So I feel that this is something that we could all learn from and should respect. In general, I love how Ethiopians take time to share meals together, even with strangers, it is considered impolite to eat alone. I also like how much music and dance is incorporated into their lives, as though It is one of the main threads keeping communities alive.”


No comments:

Post a Comment